Global Traffic Seminar, Last chance to reserve your place, 26th Aug - 1st Sep, hurry 14 seats left!
Bass Strait Challenge this week!!!Tuesday, 24 Mar, 2009
Four time World Champion Windsurfer Allison Shreeve will be in Stanley (Tasmania) on Tuesday 24th March 2009 preparing to set a new world speed record across Bass Strait landing in Inverloch (Victoria) this week.As an Ambassador for CoastCare this Summer, the 27 year old Sydney resident plans to windsurf 250 km unassisted across the treacherous Strait to raise money for the "˜Life on the Edge” campaign helping the 60,000 volunteers around Australia who help keep our coastlines clean. After months of planning, training and fundraising, the weather conditions are finally here. This Friday 27th appears to have the perfect conditions for the Challenge, so Allison has mobilised the 17 personnel supporting the Challenge to get into position.
Telstra has supplied the Next G internet connection on Callypso II (38ft support fishing boat) for the Challenge, allowing live video streaming on the day. The Aerotrac GPS tracking device Allison will wear will track her exact position, speed and direction as she crosses Bass Strait on www.bassstraitchallenge.com.
“Crossing Bass Strait is no small feat, or to be taken lightly. I have done a three day Offshore crew course, Survival at sea course and obtained my radio license thanks to Pacific Sailing School to help me be prepared for this Challenge”
Along with many hours of endurance training across Botany Bay, Allison has prepared for the worst and will carry an EPIRB, GPS, Suunto X10 GPS watch, PFD 1 lifejacket, ICOM radio, flares, V sheet, dye, 3L Camelbak and harness.
Allison would like to thank her sponsors for their support: Electra Energy, VEC ACORN Charitable Trust, Club Marine, Pacific Sailing School, Jesus - All About Life, Audi, Calypso Fishing Charters, Musto, Telstra, Suunto, Icom, RFD, Zhik, VMG Blades, Aerotrac, Digiboat, Uvex, Balance Water and the Lapstone Hotel.
Photos by Luca Villata
Spectator Opportunities: STANLEY
* Allison is scheduled to depart Stanley at dawn on Thursday 26th or Friday 27th March 2009, weather dependant.
* Spectators are welcome to attend the departure.
* Spectators will have a chance to meet Allison in Stanley at scheduled events on Tuesday and Wednesday. * Memorabilia will be available for purchase.
* Allison is scheduled to arrive in Inverloch between 3-6pm on Thursday 26th or Friday 27th March 2009, weather dependant.
* Spectators are welcome to attend the arrival.
* Spectators will have a chance to meet Allison in Inverloch at scheduled events on Thursday or Friday.
* Memorabilia will be available for purchase.
Allison’s key sporting achievements:
· Allison Shreeve is a Champion Windsurfer ranked No. 1 in the world
· A Class world speed record holder
· Four times Formula Windsurfing World Champion
· Australian Female Sailor of the Year 2006
· To windsurf 250km from Tasmania to mainland Australia
· Become the first woman to windsurf across Bass Strait
· Set a new World Speed record
· To raise $100,000 for CoastCare and awareness of their cause
LINK TO RECENT CHANNEL NINE MEDIA CLIP: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/758299/windsurfer-planning-tasmania-victoria-journey.
Please call Lucinda (Stanley contact) 0412218007 or Venetia (Inverloch contact) 0414895184 to arrange interviews.